You are here:Home » hijab » She Looked At My Hijab and Said...

She Looked At My Hijab and Said...



As Salamu-Alaykum, my lovelies!

A couple of weeks ago, I got the best surprise. A good friend of mine, who used to live in London (but chose to run away to faraway lands), sent me a message saying she was coming to London to visit. It was all of a sudden and out of the blue, and I got really excited because I don't get to see her very often at all.

We made plans to meet up a day or two after her arrival. The plan was to meet up in a café somewhere and talk for hours on end. On my way to meet her, I decided to drop by Thorntons - a chocolate company - to get her a small gift.

Now, I love chocolate. I was just saying to a friend the other day that chocolate is probably the most constant consumable in my life - I have some every.single.day. But I digress. So there I was, in this chocolate heaven, and it was synonymous with being a 5year old at a toy store (and Thorntons isn't even that big!). After some deliberation, I finally decided on some beautifully packaged box of elegant chocolates and rushed to the counter.    

I was already running late, so I hurriedly handed over the chocolates to the salesgirl and dived into my bag for my wallet. I looked up, card in hand ready to pay, and the salesgirl had still not scanned my order. Uhm...hello?

Calmly, she looked at me and then she looked at my hijab, and then back to me and said, "Sorry, just wanted to let you know that this particular box contains alcohol. Do you still want to purchase it?"

Subhanallah - how beautiful of a gesture was that? I thanked her profusely and told her that no, I did not want to buy anything containing alcohol. Or pork. She stepped out of her till area and walked around the store with me until I found something that was halal and gift-worthy. I paid and thanked her again, and I still think of her kindness from time to time. 

And also, how beautiful that the hijab - the unfortunate cause of prejudice, discrimination, ridicule and mockery from ignorant and close-minded individuals towards many Muslims around the world - ended up being the reason I didn't unknowingly purchase a box of haram chocolates. 

Girls, the real lesson here is this - check properly before you buy, regardless of how rushed you are for time. We will not always be lucky enough to come across kindhearted sellers like her. But if and when we do, we need to share these positive stories to remind other Muslims that yes, we may be judged by others based on the way we look. But sometimes, it may be for our own good. 

Allah (SWT) wanted us to stand out and not blend in - and He is omniscient. 
He knows what's best. 
 

20 comments:

  1. Assalamu Aleikum! This made me smile! :-) Yes its great to remind each other of the beauty and blessings in hijab! Alhamdulilah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa Alaikum Salaam Melanie,

      It really is! Glad you enjoyed the post :-)

      Delete
  2. That is truly amazing, I love people that are thoughtful and considerate like that! Also I am chocoholic too! Like its a serious issue, I have to have some every day or I go nuts!
    Thanks for sharing though, it made my happy!

    http://lavieenmauve-jj.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salaam Jenan,

      Lol! I seriously don't know how non-chocoholics go through life. Also, it seems like people like her are rare to find, but I think we'd be surprised by how much kindness there is in the world. People just need to share their stories more often. I'm glad you enjoyed the post :-)

      Delete
  3. wow that's amazing. There is still hope in humanity al hamdulliallah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salaam Nahye,

      Really warms the heart, doesn't it :-)

      Delete
  4. That was so toughtful of her! And I completely agree with you- always check twice to see what you're buying :) Followed via gfc #24, hope you can follow back. xx Maja
    - http://modern-muffin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, wasn't it :-)

      Thanks for dropping by Maja Xx

      Delete
  5. Salam, I ve had a similar experience and I find it so sweet when a person helps out without asking! It is one of the positive 'side effects' of the hijab when other people go out of their way to help you follow your deen!

    By the way I have a new short story on my blog if you want to drop by not as descriptive as last time but a feel-good 'chocolate for the soul' kinda read if I do say so myself..ok maybe not quite Thorntons chocolate..more of the Flake variety!
    http://saudiarabianights.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salaam Misha,

      So sorry for the delayed response - I'll be checking out your latest short story asap! So glad you're updating your blog.

      It really is heartwarming - I am still somewhat surprised everytime I remember her. But the truth is, there are so many good people out there. It's just a shame that their stories are hardly ever told.

      Delete
  6. MashaAllah, how beautiful hijab is!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salaam Olive,

      Thank you for reading, and I agree with your comment! Xx

      Delete
  7. Awhh!Such beautiful experience!Hijab is a true blessing subhanallah may Allah sw keep us from ever taking it for granted.Allahumma Ameen!I also nominated you for the Versatile blogger award,hope you enjoy doing it!xoxo

    http://nownotforever.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ameen! Admittedly, it is not always easy to embrace it in certain parts of the world, so hopefully we'll all get to encounter kindhearted people like this from time to time.

      Also, thank you for the nomination! I look forward to reading yours :-) xx

      Delete
  8. This was such a beautiful post! the exact same happened with me, but it was in a small fish and chip shop here in the UK. As we sat down at one of the tables and waited for our food to arrive, one of the staff came over and quietly told us the chips were fried in some sort of pork fat, and that she recognised that we wore a Hijab so just wanted to inform us.
    I found that so amazing, that a) this lady knew that she would have lost customers but still chose to tell us and b) that wearing a hijab distinguishes us from others

    Great post :) glad i have just discovered your blog! x
    Nadda from naddasnarrative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salaam Nadda,

      Thanks so much for sharing! People like her are rare to come across these days, but it is always refreshing to find that selfless, considerate people actually exist. I can only imagine the number of people in her situation who would have turned a blind eye and served you the pork-soaked fries. I mean to be fair, it is nobody else's responsibility but ours to ensure we check what we eat. But kindness is kindness - especially at a time when our religion is under so much scrutiny and negative attention.

      Thanks again for sharing, and for your kind comments. I'll be checking out your blog now :-) xx

      Delete
  9. wow! reading this made me proud to wear hijab! :)

    greetings from czech republic!
    Hanis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Hanis... you made my day :-) Xx

      Delete
  10. how beautiful <33
    I was thinking it would be a nasty thing she would say but she was so kind and caring , much love for you and her <3

    ReplyDelete